The hearing in a defamation suit filed against Congress MP Rahul Gandhi for his remarks on the 2020 Hathras gangrape case has been deferred to May 2. The case, heard in an MP-MLA court, was delayed due to the presiding judge's transfer. The defamation complaint stems from Gandhi's alleged remarks about the accused 'roaming free' while visiting the victim's family.
The Uttar Pradesh State Women Commission is open to reviewing the acquittal of a college professor accused of sexually exploiting female students if the complainant or aggrieved parties formally approach the panel.
A Gurugram court sentenced two men to life imprisonment for the murder of Sunil Kumar in 2022. The accused, taxi drivers from Uttar Pradesh, were convicted based on evidence presented by the police.
Police in Hathras have registered an FIR against former Delhi minister Rajendra Pal Gautam for allegedly spreading misleading information and attempting to disturb communal harmony.
A college professor in Hathras, India, has been acquitted of sexually exploiting female students after a court cited a lack of evidence and corroboration from the alleged victims.
A total of 121 people, mostly women, died in the stampede after a satsang of Surajpal alias Bhole Baba alias Narayan Sakar Hari on July 2 in Fulrai village in Hathras' Sikandra Rao area.
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking a probe into the Hathras stampede that left 121 dead, and asked the petitioner to move the Allahabad high court.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday said that a date of hearing has been accorded to a PIL seeking probe into the Hathras stampede that left 121 dead.
In a video message, Madhukar's lawyer AP Singh claimed that his client had surrendered in Delhi, where he was undergoing treatment.
The judicial commission set up by the Uttar Pradesh government will speak to anyone required for its inquiry into the July 2 Hathras stampede, a probe panel member said on Sunday when asked if self-styled godman Bhole Baba will also be questioned.
'No one has been given a clean chit. The investigation is on and government agencies are searching for the main accused who is absconding'
Tahul assured that he would raise the stampede issue in Parliament in a bid to prevent such incidents in the future, they said.
Police have registered a case against journalist Siddique Kappan and 10 others in connection with a solidarity event held in Kochi condemning the arrest of journalist Rejaz M Sheeba Sydeek.
The Hathras SP said the investigation also revealed that some political parties had contacted him some time back.
The police entered the ashram premises of religious preacher Jagat Guru Saakar Vishwahari Bhole Baba in Mainpuri, UP, and later said he was not present there. A police official said they had gone there to check security arrangements.
A total of 121 people, mostly women, died in the stampede at self-styled godman Baba Bhole's satsang in Hathras on Tuesday.
He said retired administration and police officials will also be part of the judicial inquiry to probe the stampede.
A day after a stampede in Hathras claimed 121 lives, Uttar Pradesh minister Asim Arun on Wednesday said the state government has started work on standard operating procedures (SOPs) for granting permission for large gatherings to prevent such incidents in future.
The self-styled godman, who is called Baba Narayan Hari and Saakar Vishwa Hari Bhole Baba, is not named in the list of the accused in the FIR filed in the incident though his name is in the complaint.
The Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday suspended the local SDM, a circle officer and four others based on the SIT report on the Hathras stampede that did not rule out a "big conspiracy" behind the incident.
In a video statement, Suraj Pal who also goes by the name of Narayan Sakar Hari expressed his grief and condoled the deaths at the tragedy that took place earlier this week during a 'Satsang' in Fulari village in Hathras district.
'Karur could still impact Jana Nayagan's box-office success if Vijay and the TVK do not get their act together,' points out N Sathiya Moorthy.
Lawyer Seema Kushwaha, who is representing the Dalit woman's family, said on Thursday that they will challenge the verdict in the high court.
The rape charge could not be proved against the prime accused, his lawyer Munna Singh Pundir said.
The police and district administration are working on an elaborate plan in this regard as to how many family members will go and when they will depart from Hathras.
Social media platforms Facebook, Google and Twitter on Thursday told the Delhi high court that they have blocked or taken down all the links which incorrectly showed a deceased woman's photo as that of the Hathras rape victim.
On Saturday, the CBI took the accused persons to Gandhinagar in Gujarat from Aligarh Jail, Jail Superintendent informed.
The court will record the version of the victim's family members in the case.
The agency invoked charges of gang rape and murder against Sandeep, Luvkush, Ravi and Ramu and the local court in Hathras has taken cognisance, lawyer for the accused told reporters outside the court.
The Lucknow bench of the high court also directed the state government to lay down modalities for cremation in Hathras-like situations. Considering the sensitivity of the issue, the court directed UP officials, political parties and all others to avoid making any statement in public on it.
"We will fight against injustice, and fight till justice is done," Priyanka Gandhi told reporters after the meeting that lasted about 45 minutes. Rahul Gandhi said no power can stifle the voice of the family.
Reacting to the announcement, the family members of the victim said they want a Supreme Court-monitored inquiry.
Taking suo moto cognisance of the September 14 gang-rape and subsequent death of the teenager, the bench also ordered the Hathras district magistrate and senior superintendent of police to appear before it.
Raut said he hadn't seen a social media campaign demanding justice for the victim.
Self-styled godman Bhole Baba's lawyer A P Singh alleged on Sunday that witnesses told him some people opened cans containing a poisonous substance in the crowd during the July 2 Hathras 'satsang', triggering the stampede.
Earlier, the Uttar Pradesh government had told the bench that "shocking findings" have emerged in the investigation so far in the case in which Kappan was arrested on his way to Hathras.
The sureties required for the release of Kerala journalist Sidhique Kappan on bail have been submitted in a court in Lucknow and his lawyer said he might walk out of jail on Thursday.
The FIR claimed that police recovered pamphlets "Justice for Hathras victim", six mobiles and a laptop from them, and during the initial probe it was found that they were going to Hathras with an intention "to breach the peace" as part of a "conspiracy".
Dr Azeem Malik and Dr Obaid Haque had attended to the alleged rape victim when she was brought to the Aligarh hospital. They were later sacked, then reinstated.
The SIT, constituted on September 30, was initially given seven days time ending on Wednesday to submit its report.